• The BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera MFT features passive Micro Four Thirds lens mount, so you now have an even greater choice of lens options when shooting. The BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera MFT model supports any Micro Four Thirds with manual iris & focus, & is also easily adapted to other lens mounts such as PL via third party adapters. The ability to use third party adapters to allow other types of lens mount is due to the Micro Four Thirds lensmount being much closer to the image sensor & allowing space for adapters to other lens mounts.
• BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera MFT includes a super wide 13 stops of dynamic range, large 2.5K sensor, a built in SSD recorder that has the bandwidth to capture open standard CinemaDNG RAW, Apple ProRes & Avid DNxHD files, a built in capacitive touch screen for direct metadata entry, standard jack audio connections, built in high speed Thunderbolt connection, 3 Gb/s SDI output, a refrigerated sensor for low noise, & is fully compatible with an even wider range of extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds mount lenses, plus other lenses such as PL mount lenses via common third party adapters.
• BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera MFT also includes a full copy of DaVinci Resolve for color correction and BlackMagic Design UltraScope software for waveform monitoring. This means the user can simply plug into Thunderbolt laptop & run UltraScope to get full waveform monitoring scopes on set!
• One of the most important features of the camera is its super wide dynamic rangeof 13 stops, allowing feature film quality images. Commonly people focus on morepixels, however often this just creates a higher resolution, but "video" looking images that still suffer from highlight & black clipping that limits details. BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera's wide dynamic range eliminates this problem and provides film quality with dramatically more detail retained in black & whites in the image.
• Once the shoot is complete, the included DaVinci Resolve color correction software can be used to adjust images and take advantage of this extra range in the images. The high quality Micro Four Thirds lens compatibilityalso helps create sharp & cinematic images that look incredible.
• To eliminate the damage that low bit depth and high compression video storage creates, BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera includes a fast SSD recorder. The built in SSDrecorder can record the full sensor detail in 12 bit Log RAW files in the open standard CinemaDNG format on fast solid state disks. These files can be read by all high end video software.
• The full 2.5K sensor data is stored in the files completely uncompressed because the SSD has the speed to store video data at therequired rate. This high quality file can then be color corrected on DaVinci Resolve for the same high quality result currently only possible on cameras costing tens of thousands of dollars.
• BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera has been designed as the perfect companion to Apple Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer NLE software. Unlike other cameras, which require the use of custom video file formats that are not compatible with popular NLE software, often making the post production process a nightmare, the BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera includes absolutely no custom video file formats, and every file type included is open standard. It records into CinemaDNG format for RAW files, Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD for HD resolution files compatible with Apple Final Cut Pro X and Avid Media Composer.
• The built in large LCD display makes focusing easy, and allows playback of captured files. BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera includes a built in microphone, as wellas external jack based mic/line level balanced audio connections. When playing back recorded clips, a speaker is built in, and there is an included headphone socket, as well as embedded audio on the SDI output and Thunderbolt connection. The SDI output includes all camera data such as timecode, transport control, shutter angle, color temperature setting and ASA information overlaid in attractive antialiased fonts.
• For easy metadata entry, the built in LCD features fast and responsive capacitive touch screen technology. When the user taps the display with a finger, a data entry window called the "slate" appears. This lets the user entershot information just like typing on a smart phone. This data is then stored in the files and can be accessed by NLE software when editing content later.
• Metadata is compatible with popular software such as Apple Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve. All camera settings can be changed on this touch LCD, such as frame rate, shutter angle, color temperature, dynamic range, focus assist settings and more.
• BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera includes an innovative industrial design built from solid machined aluminum metal which results in an attractive but rugged design. All of the camera, recorder and display have been shrunk down into a lightweight design that is very portable.
• One of the most common customer requests since announcing the original model of the BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera is other lens mounts, Micro Four Thirds is a fantastic option and so BlackMagic Designed a second model with this mount. Only Micro Four Thirds lets cinematographers use a wide range of creative lenses, but it also easily adapts to other lens mounts such as PL mount, so the range of exciting lens options is virtually unlimited!
Great camera, my only problem with it was not having enough knowledge about the product and the sales man who was helpful but did not know that the 4K was a full frame camera so now I am stuck with the 2.5k which is nice but the work I do requires more of what the full frame as to offer
This is one amazing camera that I would like to return, duo to some confusion and lack of knowledge on my part and the sales associate I ended up with the 2.5K that does not not fit my work flow due to the I believe 2.3 magnification , I was told by the sales associate that it was the same on the 4K and clearly that's not the case, it was not malicious on his part as a matter of fact he was great. The super 35 fits my work flow and for the extra money my life would be so much easier
I use Canon DSLR to shoot lots of video and this is big step-up for me. footage quality is outstanding. random thing i've noticed with this camera comparing with my canon t2i. it's very heavy. when you carry around this camera with other lens you realize how heavy this camera is. but also give you better steady handheld footage. back lcd screen is very big and very easy to focus with activating focus button and give you little sizzle image for focused area. also you can double tap the screen to maginify for better focus. if you use in outdoor daylight, it's very hard to see just like canon camera. battery is built in to body and you can't swap the battery like canon. there's external battery optoin and i'd probsbly shop around. i'm glad this camera chose SSD drive for recording media option. footage quility is great, but also very huge. shooting raw dng sequence, it'll fill up 240g ssd drive within an hour. apple prores quicktime is also very good quality and give you lots of range when you shoot with film mode. hope there's better management for recorded footage. you gets lots of rolling shutter. this camera perform better on tripod or very slow camera move. still new to this camera and learning new things every time use it. liking it very much so far.
With the BMCC Metabones Speedbooster, this really is a mini Alexa. It really has top notch image quality that beats out even the likes of the Canon C300, which is a way overpriced $15k camera.
Love this cam. I use for documentary and it is MUCH better than my 5d for workflow and ease of use. Sure I don't get unreal light, but a 80 buck led solves this.
This camera is perfect for event videographers and indies but outside of that niche I can't say its by any means a perfect camera. Black Magic really tried to do something unconventional here and it shows both in the pros and cons. I would heavily research before getting this camera but if you can find it in your budget and can overcome a few limitations, it might be worth your time.
I love the image quality on this guy. Its the main reason I pulled the trigger on this camera. Of course it has its draw backs poor internal audio screen very reflective and of course I d suggest using it with some sort of rig at least a handle. The internal battery is more of a back up to the additional battery you choose to add on. All in all the image is the winner for me I love this camera
I use this for my indie films. It has been a ton of fun to shoot test video with. I love the image quality and the film-like results. I have tried it with a variety of lenses, some canon lenses don't seem to work with it. the iris is not controllable. I will need an external batter solution for it when I do longer shoots. I acciently left it on standby in my camera bag for an hour. It got very warm and used up most of the battery. Make sure it is off before putting it away. I am very happy with this camera overall.
Excellent camera. Brought it to school, and I was the envy to all my classmates.
As long as you understand and expect its limitations (rolling shutter, crop factor, etc.) this camera is awesome. It takes a little more money to get started, but for its price, it's a revelation.