D2Xs shares many performance and design innovations with the D2X. It also offers Nikon's acclaimed DX-format CMOS image sensor capturing 12.4 million effective pixels per image, producing 4,288 x 2,848-pixel images with the high resolution and sharp detail needed for demanding professional assignments. The D2Xs, however, also introduces a range of revised features that make operation significantly more responsive including refined viewfinder performance that makes for easier composition when shooting in Nikon's exclusive High-Speed Crop mode, a new 2.5 inch LCD with a 170-degree wide viewing angle calibrated at the factory to ensure consistent color fidelity, significantly increased battery life and a wide range of firmware enhancements.
Other Upgrades include
• High-Speed Crop Mode (HSC) Automatic Viewfinder Mask,
• Continuous Burst (buffer) in HSC (6.8 MP) mode: 38 JPEG, 29 NEF (D2x had 35 JPEG),
• 3 Custom Tone Curves versus 1 for D2X,
• Save and Load Settings,
• NEW HI-1, HI-2 (1/3 increments) ISO Range,
• Focus Tracking with Lock On (Long, Normal, Short, Off)
• In-Camera Trimming (Cropping)
Professional high speed performance is realized through the D2Xs's ability to capture 12.4 megapixel JPEG images or RAW images at a rate of up to 5 frames per second in continuous shooting mode, while continuous shooting at a rate of up to 8 frames per second is made possible through use of the High-Speed Crop mode that captures a more specific, central area of the frame at 6.8 megapixel resolution.