• Premium picture quality and superb performance come easy with this comfortable to handle digital SLR. At a time when we want complex things to become simple, the EVOLT E-500 succeeds in doing so with a sleek, lightweight design for impressive portability and advanced controls and options that can be accessed with minimal effort.
Bursting with speed and producing spotless pictures with exceptional color and detail, the EVOLT E-500 is tailor-made for anyone to use while capturing the imagination in the process.
25 SHOOTING MODES:
• The EVOLT E-500 makes it so simple to capture great pictures with 15 easily selectable scene modes and 10 exposure modes that all you need to do is point it in the right direction.
ALL DIGITAL LENSES:
• Each pristine Zuiko digital-specific lens is perfectly matched to the camera's image sensor and features an internal CPU for direct communication with the camera to produce super sharp, bright, colorful pictures from edge-to-edge.
BIG, BRIGHT 2.5" HYPERCRYSTAL LCD:
• View and share pictures with outstanding color and contrast - up to a 160-degree viewing angle, from left to right and up and down - on this super high-resolution 2.5" HyperCrystal LCD that makes pictures stand out and menu options and icons simple to see.
DUAL MEDIA SLOTS:
• Shoot, store or backup pictures on your preferred choice of an xD-Picture Card, CompactFlash or both with the convenience of two media card slots SPEED AND QUALITY WITH TRUEPIC:
• The exclusive TruePic TURBO Image Processor delivers a camera that responds with impressive speed from the moment it's turned on and smooth, colorful images every time.
• People don't promote what they can't fix. That's why Olympus is the only one to speak up against dust and deliver the exclusive Supersonic Wave FilterTM that vibrates 35,000 times per second to eliminate dust from the image sensor and any concern you'll ever have about changing lenses...anywhere.
ADVANCED 8 MEGAPIXEL CCD:
• The full-frame transfer CCD is designed to capture more information from each individual pixel to help you receive brilliant results from edge-to-edge with a full range of color, contrast and detail.
• Patented Dust Reduction System uses the Supersonic Wave Filter (SWF) to loosen and remove any and all dust and debris from the image sensor. The SWF vibrates at a rate of 35,000 times per second upon start-up as well as when manually activated - and is unnoticeable to the user - for clear, aberration-free images.
This removal of dust also means you never have to worry about changing lenses because if anything gets in, the SWF will get it out.
Capture sharp, detailed photos quickly. The exclusive TruePic TURBO Image Processor provides accelerated performance such as a faster start-up time, rapid shot-to-shot speed, and quicker playback of smooth, detail-rich photos.
Most Liked Positive Review
A great digital SLR package
I have owned several Olympus SLRs starting with the OM-3. I have found them to be solidly built, high quality, and utterly relaible. After enarly a year of usage, I believe I can say the same about the E-500. While some call the controls complicated, I find them consistent with many other digital SLRs offering similar capabilites. The sensor has reasonable noise levels even using ISO 1600 in low light conditions. Burst mode with high speed CF cards allows continuous shooting until you reach t...View full Review
I have owned several Olympus SLRs starting with the OM-3. I have found them to be solidly built, high quality, and utterly relaible. After enarly a year of usage, I believe I can say the same about the E-500. While some call the controls complicated, I find them consistent with many other digital SLRs offering similar capabilites. The sensor has reasonable noise levels even using ISO 1600 in low light conditions. Burst mode with high speed CF cards allows continuous shooting until you reach the capacity of the card using only moderate compression. The lenses are very high quality though I would have preferred them to be faster. I find the 40-150 mm lens to be excellent for wildlife photography. The 14-45 mm lens does a good job for everyday use. Overall I rate this as an excellent package.
Most Liked Negative Review
Amice amoung men!
This product is terrible in a competetive market. My Canon Digital Rebel runs laps around the olympus evolt 500. Slow focusing, unpredictable focus makes this an unreliable piece of garbage. In low light you're playing russian roulette and poking and hoping to get a quality in focus shot or plain just miss it. It's manual focus option, not good. My advise pay a little more for the Canon it's well worth it and you'll definitly be totally satisfied. The E-volt is not even worthy of a beginners...View full Review
This product is terrible in a competetive market. My Canon Digital Rebel runs laps around the olympus evolt 500. Slow focusing, unpredictable focus makes this an unreliable piece of garbage. In low light you're playing russian roulette and poking and hoping to get a quality in focus shot or plain just miss it. It's manual focus option, not good. My advise pay a little more for the Canon it's well worth it and you'll definitly be totally satisfied. The E-volt is not even worthy of a beginners quality camera. This was suppose to be a back up camera for my business and it is not even worthy of that.
Reviewed by 21 customers
I've had this camera for over a year now and it always has been and still is reliable. It is fairly easy to learn without the manual, but it takes time and a lot of playing with the settings. The focus is pretty fast and accurate, but when trying to photograph airplanes flying at a distance it tends to run through the entire focus range. The only real problem I have is that the 14-45mm kit lens isn't as sharp as I'd like, but that's not a big deal, I recently bought a Sigma lens kit with the 18-50mm and 55-200mm for about [$] and they work great. There is a noticeable difference in macro pictures.Overall this is an awesome camera and makes very nice prints even up to a 20x30in. poster. I love this camera and I would definitely buy this camera again. Thanks Olympus.
I must say I am very impressed with this camera. I've always, ALWAYS been a Canon man. In my studio are the a Rebel xti, and a A2. I've only touched a nikon once and enjoyed it just a little. I took a chance on this camera just to see what it could do for the price and I was floored! I'd never leave Canon but this camera is operating well as my backup. The picture quality is great and the lenses have worked well other than a few minor focusing problems. You cannot beat what you are getting for the price. Definitely good for the amatuer.
The response time is fast, the color accurate, the picture focus clear even at high zoom with the 40-150mm lens. The learning time is relatively short, but the manual must be read. Thus far I have only taken pictures through the view finder, but I am sure there is a way to use the LCD. Since I prefer this method, I am not at a loss. My only complaint is that the view finder is located so that each time I use it, my nose smears the LCD.
This is a great little package for the money with good lens coverage. The "white balance issues" written about in other reviews seems a little overplayed unless you're a pro. This is a good solid camera with a great Zuiko lens kit.
This is a great deal, Its like buying 2 lens and getting the body free. The ZUIKO DIGITAL lens are fast and light, prefect for hiking or backpacking.
Excellent quality camera. Takes great, clear pictures and has very little lag time. I am able to take quick consecutive pictures. Very strong construction too, my one year old son pulled it off a desk onto a tile floor. The lens did break but the body is fine and still works. I love that it also takes two types of memory cards.
The overall use of the product is great and provides some quality photo's. I've taken this camera all over the world and have captured some excpetional photo's both at night and day. I've also gotten some great action shots. It could be a little better at focusing on action shots, but it does Ok. The built in flash is a little over powering indoors in low light situations and it also has some difficulty focusing indoors if there isn't enough light. Although, when you add on the external flash unit, many of the lowlight situations are resolved. Overall, great camera for the hobbyist looking for high quality photo's with the flexibility of a SLR camera.
This camera is the best deal around. The 2 lenses work great and the camera itself does everything I was hoping it would!
I have a small photo business and although not listed as a pro SLR it does everthing I need it to do.
The things which annoy me about the camera are relatively minor: smaller than avg. viewfinder, slow kit lenses, and (because of that) a fair amount of AF seeking in low light settings. Having said that, the Zuiko kit lenses are no slower than Canon or Nikon at entry level, and are faster than some, especially at the smaller apertures. Overall, the kit lenses perform well. I haven't been disappointed with the glass quality. Within a month I purchased a Zuiko 50mm f2.0 macro lens for closeup work and for low light shooting. It makes a big difference, and the glass is also better quality. A few months later I purchased an Olympus MF-1 adapter and an old OM 300mm f4.5 telephoto. Other adapter rings are available (not from Olympus) which permit using older 35mm-mount lenses from Canon, Nikon, and Minolta on the E500 body. They are used in Manual mode, with slight adjustments needed for exposure, but for far less than the cost of a digital lens, additional reach is possible with the older glass available. Sigma is now making several lenses for the Four Thirds system, including 135-400mm tele (270-800 35mm equiv.), 50-500mm tele (100-1000 35mm equiv). As for the camera body itself, it is a detail oriented person's dream. I really appreciate the camera's layout. Buttons are, for the most part, well situated and important settings are contollable without recourse to menus. It doesn't take long to learn to adjust and shoot without ever taking your eye from the viewfinder. Canon and Nikon can't match this quality at this price. The Oly E500 two lens kit is the best Bang for the Buck! Their customer support in NY was very responsive and provided quick turnaround and reliable work when needed.