Schneider 4x5.65" Classic Soft # 1/8 Professional Glass Filter.
• Classic Soft: Contains hundreds of Micro-Lenslets evenly distributed throughout the filter. Classic Softs create a unique softening effect that helps smooth-out blemishes and minimize wrinkles. The stronger grades (1 & 2) help add mood to the scene by causing highlights to glow softly.
• Diamond cut from crystal-clear, water-white optical glass, Schneider filters are ground and polished to a precise flatness and plane-parallelism (exact parallel relationship between front and back filter surfaces). Then, to ensure perfection, this is verified by a laser interferometer. Schneider filters are then checked with a densitometer for consistent density, and tested with a spectrophotometer for proper light transmission. It's due to this ultra-high consistency, that allows cinematographers to swap like filters mid-shoot with no discernible variation in color or effect. What's more, the unprecedented purity, color saturation and repeatability of Schneider filters virtually eliminate the need for lab color timing correction.
• Schneider filters stand up to the most rigorous demands on set or location. Many feature Schneider's specially formulated hard anti-reflective (AR) coating to resist flaking, peeling and scratching. This proprietary coating also reduces light loss and flare to less than 1% per surface, compared to untreated glass that has a light loss of 4% per surface. Schneider screw-on filters feature virtually jam-proof brass precision mounting rings, while unmounted Schneider laminated filters are protected against delamination and edge-chipping by Schneider's unique Edge Seal, which also reduces edge reflection and edge flare.
• The common perception among photographers and cinematographer's is that filters should not be used in front of long length lenses, due to the critically short depth of field of these lenses. This belief is often confirmed when poorly made glass or plastic-resin filters are placed in front of a long lens, and the degradation of the image is visible simply by looking through the viewfinder. This degradation is caused by poor quality control, low-quality glass and poor glass grinding and polishing techniques used in the manufacture of such filters.
• Schneider filters have no such problems, and can be used in front of even the longest lens. Diamond-cut from high-quality optical glass, then ground and polished to precise lens-making standards, Schneider filters offer unsurpassed clarity, light transmission and color saturation with absolutely no visible compromise of image quality. Even when stacked, they are the clear choice for use with any lens.