The CX3, a new digital camera featuring a high magnification 10.7x (28-300 mm) optical wide-angle zoom lens, a back-illuminated CMOSsensor, and an enhanced noise reduction function.
With a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a noise reduction function incorporating the algorithm used on the GR DIGITAL III (introduced August 2009), the new CX3 has dramatically improved image quality performance when shooting low-light scenes.
When the camera is pointed at the subject, the new "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum scene mode. Since the camera automatically changes to the optimum shooting settings, you can enjoy easy shooting of beautiful photographs.
Shooting has never been more enjoyable. With many other function enhancements, such as the addition of a 1280 × 720 pixel HD movie function, the addition of high & low luminance priority settings for "dynamic range double shot mode" dynamic range expansion effects, and the addition of the "pets" scene mode. The CX3 compact digital camera takes another step forward in realizing the Ricoh design concept "A tool you will want to use every day."
Greater image quality in low-light scenes possible with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a new noise reduction function
• The back-illuminated 10 megapixel CMOS sensor significantly increases shooting performance in low-light scenes.
• The CX3 uses the noise reduction algorithm introduced on the GR DIGITAL III. Performing noise reduction processing on the signal immediately after it is output by the CMOS sensor makes it possible to reduce noise while maintaining resolution, tone characteristics, and saturation.
• The noise reduction level can be specified as Off, Auto, Weak, Strong, or MAX. By specifying MAX, it is possible to do sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise variance is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region.
The 28-300 mm 10.7x optical zoom is mounted on a body that is both easy to operate and easy to carry
• Ricoh's original retracting lens system made it possible to fit the high magnification 10.7x optical wide-angle zoom lens in a compact 29.4 mm body.
• With 28 mm wide-angle to 300 mm telephoto coverage, this high magnification zoom lens can handle a wide range of shooting situations, including powerful telephoto shots as well as wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and interior scenes with limited distance between camera and subject.
By just pointing the camera at the subject, "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum shooting settings
• With "scene auto mode," the camera identifies the type of scene being photographed (portrait, sports, night portrait, landscape, nightscape, macro mode, etc.) and automatically switches to the optimum shooting settings. Enjoy quick and easy photography of people, landscapes, nightscapes, close-ups, and much else.
Get the shot you want with high-speed continuous shooting functions capable of high image quality
• It is possible to do high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 frames/second for still images with the maximum number of pixels.
(Continuous shooting speed will vary depending on shooting conditions, card type, card condition, etc.)
• For the M-continuous plus shooting function, which saves consecutive images shot before the finger is removed from the shutter release button, there is a mode that makes it possible to shoot at the maximum number of pixels. To fit the scene being photographed, you can select from two modes: M-Continuous Plus (10M) for 15 images taken in as little as three seconds and M-Continuous Plus (2M) for 26 images taken in about 0.9 seconds.
• With ultra-high-speed continuous shooting, the CX3 shoots 120 images (120 frames/sec.) during an interval of about one second after the shutter release button is pushed, or 120 images (60 frames/sec.) during an interval of about two seconds
High image quality that will expand your range of expression
• Dynamic range double shot mode makes it possible to record images with an almost naked-eye impression, and new detailed settings have been added to control the dynamic range expansion effect. It is now possible to choose the tone range to be given priority using the following options: highlights, shadows, and off.
• Residing on a customized circuit of the image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV, the pixel output interpolation algorithm reduces whiteout in high-contrast situations, thereby recreating beauty as seen.
• Multi-pattern auto white balance makes it possible to recreate natural as-seen colors even in people-photography scenes that were difficult to shoot with past auto white balance functions, such as scenes with both shadow and sunlight and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.).
New modes to stimulate creative photography.
• The new "pets mode" turns off the flash, AF auxiliary light, and operation sounds to avoid startling the pet. You can easily capture the antics of your cute pet. This mode also gives priority in focusing for a cat's face when one is detected.
• The 13 scene modes includes two popular modes introduced on the CX2: "miniaturize mode" makes it possible to shoot actual scenes but record images that recreate the impression given when photographing miniatures; "high-contrast B&W mode" makes it possible to record images with a grainy feel such as that created by using ultra-high-sensitivity film in a film camera or by push processing film at the development stage.
|CCD||Approximately 10 million pixels
Image Sensor 1/2.3-inch CCD (total pixels: approx. 10.60 million pixels)
|Focal length:||f=4.9-52.5mm (equivalent to 28-300 mm for 35 mm film cameras. With Step Zoom set, option of eight fixed lengths: 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm, 200 mm, and 300 mm|
|Aperture (F value):||f/3.5 (Wide-angle) - f/5.6 (Telephoto)|
|Vibration Correction Function||Image sensor shift method image stabilizer|
|Zoom||Optical: 10.7x zoom (equivalent to 28-300 mm focal length for 35 mm cameras) Digital: 4.8x up to 51.4x (equivalent to 1440 mm) when used with optical zoom|
|Subject Distance||Normal shooting: Approx. 30 cm - infinity (Wide)
approx. 1.5 m - infinity (Telephoto) (from the front of the lens)
|Macro Subject Distance||Macro shooting: Approx. 1 cm - infinity (Wide), approx. 28 cm - infinity (Telephoto) (From lens tip)|
|Shutter||Still: 8, 4, 2, 1-1/2000 sec.
Movie: 1/30-1/ 2000 sec.
Continuous Shooting approx. 5 frames/sec.
shooting speed after 12 pictures is approx. 3 frames/sec.)
Continuous shooting capacity: 999 pictures
|Pixels||Still image/multi-picture: 3648 x 2736, 3648 x 2432, 2736 x 2736, 3648 x 2048, 2592 x 1944, 2048 x 1536, 1728 x 1296 (multi-picture only), 1280 x 960, 640 x 480
Movie: 1280 x 720, 640 x 480, 320 x 240
Text: 3648 x 2736, 2048 x 1536
|ISO Sensitivity||AUTO, ISO80 / ISO100 / ISO200 / ISO400 / ISO800 / ISO1600 / ISO3200|
|Flash||Modes: Auto flash (fires automatically in low-light conditions and when the subject is backlit), Red-eye Flash, Flash On, Flash Synchro, Soft Flash, Flash Off
Built-in flash range: Approx. 20 cm - 4.0 m (Wide), approx. 28 cm - 4.0 m (Telephoto) (ISO Auto/ISO1600, from the front of the lens)
Flash compensation: +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps)
|Focus||Multi AF (Contrast AF method) / Spot AF (Contrast AF method) / Face-Priority
AF / Continuous AF / Multi-target AF / MF / Snap / infinity ( with AF Auxiliary Light)
|Exposure Adjustment||Multi Light Metering (256 segments), Center Weighted Light Metering, Spot Metering|
|Exposure Compensation||Manual Exposure Compensation +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps), Auto Bracket Function (-0.5EV, ±0, +0.5EV)|
|White Balance||AUTO / Multi-Pattern AUTO / Outdoors / Cloudy / Incandescent / Incandescent 2 / Fluorescent / Manual, White Balance Bracket Function|
|Recording Media||SD memory card
SDHC memory card (up to 32 GB), Internal memory (approx. 88 MB)
|Recording Mode||Auto shooting mode / Scene auto mode / Dynamic range double shot mode / Continuous mode /Scene mode (Portrait / Sports / Pets /Night. Port. / Nightscape/ Miniaturize / Landscape / High Sens / High Contrast B&W / Discreet Mode / ZoomMacro / Text Mode / Skew Correct Mode) / My settings mode / Movie mode|
|Recording Format||Still Image JPEG(Exif ver.2.21) - Multi-picture CIPA DC-X007-2009 Multi-Picture Format - Movie AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format compliant) - Compression method JPEG Baseline method compliant|
|LCD Monitor||3.0-inch Transparent LCD (approx. 920,000 dots)|
|Self Timer||approx. 10 sec. / approx. 2 sec. / custom self-timer),|
|Interval Timer||Shooting interval: 5 sec. - 1 hour (5 sec. steps)|
|PC Interface||USB 2.0 (High-Speed USB) Mini-B, Mass storage compatible|
|AV Interface||AV Out 1.0Vp-p (75)|
|Video Signal Method||NTSC, PAL switchable|
|Dimensions||4 (W) x 2.3 (H) x 1.15 (D) " / 101mm (W) x 58.3 (H) x 29.4mm (D) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 6.5 oz / 185g (without battery, SD memory card, hand strap),
Accessories approx. .81 oz / 23g (rechargeable battery, hand strap)
|Power Source||Rechargeable Battery (DB-100)|
|Shooting Capacity||Based on CIPA Standard: Using the DB-100, approx. 310 pictures (when LCD Dim is on)|