- Product Reviews
- Gear Guides
- Tip and Tutorials
- Adorama TV
Multimedia Wired-Up Collection integrates still, video, audio
Think Tank has been closely watching how photographers' habits and needs are evolving since the first HD Video-capable DSLR hit the market last year, and has introduced the Multimedia Wired Up Collection, which they describe as the first integrated suite of bags designed to be wired together and used in tandem in the field to collect stills, video and audio. Unlike most bags, that are designed to get gear into the field, these bags are meant to be used as a portable office that allows the imagist (no longer just photographers) to keep their hands free to collect images and sounds.
The Wired Up 10 and 20 belt systems work with the Canon 5D Mark II, Nikon D90 and other DSLRs, and include a front pocket that can fit a Marantz 660 audio recording device and side pockets for microhones. The bags also have "Mic Hands," side mounts that allow you to aim a mic and shoot hands-free. You can also attach full-size headphones via a "headphone hook." Modular components include a Mic Drop In, which holds a microphone for immediate use, cases to hold smaller or larger audio recording devices, and a Wireless Mic Kit that lets you carry wireless mic sets such as the Sennheiser wireless kits.
The Think Tank Photo Multimedia Wired Up 20 will cost $169, while the Wired Up 10 will list for $139.
For details, read the Think Tank press release:
Think Tank Photo Introduces the First Camera Bag System
Dedicated Solely to Multimedia DSLR’s
SANTA ROSA, CALIFORNIA, USA. – With the introductions of the Canon 5D Mark II and the Nikon D90, and with the line blurring between still and video/audio imaging, photographers and videographers are increasingly required to be experts in multimedia. A “Multimedia DSLR” is defined as a DSLR that has the ability to take still photos, video, and audio required to create a multimedia presentation. To aid them in carrying their imaging and audio gear comfortably and accessing it quickly, Think Tank Photo has launched an entirely new concept and industry first in carrying equipment, The Multimedia Wired Up Collection.
After months of interviews with specialists who are at the forefront of this new movement in imaging, it became evident that one of the biggest challenges was managing the numerous cords and cables that need to be “wired up” between the various devices. Think Tank Photo thus created a system of “cable ports” or holes in the sides and bottom of the bags that allows the devices to be connected together and managed to minimize exposed wires and cables.
The products include:
• Multimedia Wired Up 10 and 20 --These belt systems work with the Canon 5D Mark II, Nikon D90, and other DSLR’s, with a 24-70mm attached in the Wired Up 10, or with a 70-200mm standing vertically without the body attached in the Wired Up 20, and extra lenses, or audio and video devices. They include cable ports, an audio recorder front pocket that fits up to a Marantz 660 audio recording device, and side pockets for microphones. These belt packs have numerous “cable ports” that allow various devices to be wired up internally in the bag, or to other bags that can be attached to the side rails. They also feature a new concept called “Mic Hands,” located on the both sides of the bag, that allow the mic to be mounted on the side of the bag while facing forward on a level plane, for hands free recording. A “headphone hook” is also included to allow full size headphones to be attached and detached on the waist belt, and also an attachment method for monopods or boom poles.
• Wired Up Mic Drop In -- The Multimedia Mic Drop In modular component holds a microphone so that it can be immediately removed to record sound, while effectively
managing the cable. It features a “pop down” mechanism which extends the length of the bag up to 16” long for shot gun mics. This is an essential tool for anyone using a microphone with an external audio recording device.
• Wired Up Recorder -- The Multimedia Recorder modular case is an audio recorder case developed to hold a small audio recorder, like the Edirol R-09HR and Zoom H2. Its “Full- View” design with the magnetic “Quick Tab” feature allows for hands free viewing of the audio levels with a quick pull of the tab.
• Wired Up Big Audio – This audio recorder case holds larger mobile audio recorders, such as the Marantz 660. It also features the Full-View design with the “Quick Tab” feature.
• Wired Up Wireless Mic Kit -- This modular case is designed for carrying multiple wireless mic sets, such as the Sennheiser wireless kits with a lapel clip on lavalier microphone. It can also be used for a wireless setup with a small audio recording device.
“We started Think Tank Photo with one intention: to create carrying solutions that exactly fit the ways imaging specialists actually shoot,” said Doug Murdoch, Think Tank Photo’s president and lead designer. “Pro photographers are increasingly being asked to capture still images, video, and audio, and transform the content into a multimedia presentation. Many of these imaging specialists are now using Multimedia DSLR’s like the Canon 5D Mark II or the Nikon D90, since they can take still photos, video, and audio. This creates serious challenges with managing cords and cables, and organizing their photo and audio gear. The Multimedia Wired Up Collection is specifically designed to create an integrated portable carrying system they need to streamline their shooting process.”
Multimedia Wired UpTM 20
Weight: 3.6 lbs. (max) 2.2 lbs. (min
Interior: 11.5”W x 9.5”H x 4 to 5”D (29.5 x 24 x 10 to 13 cm)
Exterior: 12”W x 10.25”H x 6.5”D (30.5 x 26 x 16.5 cm)
Multimedia Wired UpTM 10
Weight: 3.2 lbs. (max) 2 lbs. (min
Interior: 11.5”W x 8”H x 4 to 5”D (29.5 x 20.5 x 10 to 13 cm)
Exterior: 12”W x 8.75”H x 6.5”D (30.5 x 22 x 16.5 cm)
Multimedia Audio Recorder
Weight: 6.5 oz.
Interior: 4”W x 6.75”H x 1.75”D (10 x 17 x 4.5 cm)
Exterior: 4.25”W x 7”H x 2”D (11 x 18 x 5 cm)
Multimedia Audio Bag
Weight: 11 oz.
Interior: 6.75”W x 9.5”H x 1.75”D (17 x 24 x 4.5 cm)
Exterior: 7”W x 9.75”H x 2”D (18 x 24.8 x 5 cm)
Multimedia Wireless Mic Kit
Weight: 10.25 oz.
Interior: 6.75”W x 6.5”H x 3”D (17 x 16.5 x 7.5 cm)
Exterior: 7”W x 6.75”H x 3.25”D (18 x 17.3 x 8 cm)
Multimedia Mic Drop In
Weight: 5.75 oz.
Interior: No Padding
Exterior: 4.25”W x 8.5-11.75”H x 4.25”D (10.5 x 21.5-30 x 10.5 cm)