Photo Plus returns to New York this week. In addition to its many workshops for professional photographers, assistants and aspring hobbyists, you can stroll the trade show floor and get to fondle the latest gear.
I have perverse enjoyment predicting the future. Let’s see what the latter part of this week holds (maybe)…
1. There will be a riot at the Leica booth. Dentists will be falling over each other trying to fondle the M9. If Leica is smart (and they are), they will redirect all full-time medical and dental professionals to the X1 for their fancy necklaces. This will provide space and time for real photographers to spend quality time with a real camera.
2. Strobism will spread like wildfire. Once upon a time, Lumiquest was the only company to offer ways to control and modify portable flash. But now, with David Fong, Honl, Professor Kobre and others, they have plenty of company. Expect more innovations.
3. There will be a riot at the Nikon booth as aficionados of natural-light photography try out the D3s and see if really they can shoot at f/8 and 1/250 sec in a cave.
4. Wannabe street cameras will be all the rage. From the Canon G11 to the Olympus EP-1 to the Panasonic GX1 to the Sigma DP-1 and DP-1, everyone, it seems, is trying to be the poor man’s Leica. Street shooters will be zipping from one booth to another and comparing lag times.
5. There will be a riot at the Canon booth as HD Video fans struggle to compare image quality from the 5D Mark II with the 7D.
6. There will be Twitter crashes: There will be a disturbing number of head-on collisions in the aisles as people Tweet from the show floor on their iPhones while walking into each other. Please, people: Don’t Tweet and walk!
7. There will be a Tweetup Thursday at the end of the day. Actually, this isn’t a prediction, it’s an invite. I will be there, and you’re invited—but you need to have a Photo Plus pass, and you need to sign up. Rub shoulders with industry insiders! Learn more (like, where and when) and sign up if there are still spots left: http://twtvite.com/cxxkm1
8. Social nets-ism: Photographers at workshops will be encouraged to enter the Twitterverse as a marketing tool. This piece of advice will be dispensed at least seven times an hour.
9. There will be a riot at the Adobe booth. Uh, what Adobe booth? People looking for Adobe’s demonstration of the latest version of Photoshop will be disappointed. Adobe will be at the show, running workshops and in a room off to the side, but not on the show floor.
10. Photo Plus will become a more important U.S. photo show. Leica and Canon will be at Photo Plus, something we can’t say for PMA, where both companies have announced that they're bowing out for the first time.
Let’s see if any of my predictions actually come true. And if you’re at the show, drop by the Adorama and AdoramaPix booths (1102 and 1203) and say hi!