- Product Reviews
- Gear Guides
- Tip and Tutorials
- Adorama TV
CES: 1080p videos and 4MP images
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SANYO North America Corporation (SANYO) is pleased to announce the release of a new Full HD Dual Camera Xacti, VPC-SH1, available in February, 2010. Based on the dual camera concept of offering photo and video functions in one camera unit, the new product is compact and enables wide-range shooting from wide angle to telephoto.
The Dual Camera series aims to provide customers with more enjoyable video experiences by offering cameras that allow users to easily capture both photo and video in daily life, as well as recording important events and occasions. By utilizing a convenient video format that can be easily handled on PC and Internet environments, and even on home TVs, these cameras are more than just a tool for capturing, viewing, and saving images. They are convenient products for sharing videos online, on blogs or on other multi-media sites. It is also easy to import images to portable media devices. The VPC-SH1 is undergoing certification to be compatible with iFrame, a next generation video format that has been designed to allow users to easily import, edit and share high quality video. SANYO’s Dual Cameras have always been at the forefront for compatibility with computers as well as online applications and networking. SANYO is offering a new way to enjoy images even after they are captured, and these products have been well received by consumers all over the world.
Now, SANYO is introducing a new stylish horizontal “Xacti” model. While emphasizing portability, the VPC-SH1 incorporates the industry-leading 35-mm wide-angle lens with high-power 30x advanced zoom function to allow users to fully enjoy Full HD video in daily life and for special events and occasions.
Product 2010 Dual Camera Xacti
Product No. VPC-SH1
Colors Black (K), Red (R)
Sales Start February, 2010
*1 For consumer-use Full-HD (1920 x 1080) video cameras; as of the announcement on January 6, 2010
*2 Advanced Zoom for movies
*3 SANYO Xacti "Full HD" means data recorded at 1920 (horizontal) x 1080 (vertical) pixels
1. Expands image capturing possibilities with industry-leading “35-mm Wide-Angle Lens”*1 and “30x Advanced Zoom”*2
* SANYO’s original “Advanced Zoom” technology used for video zoom function
* With the new zoom function, the video filming area on the image sensor is enlarged from approximately 2-Megapixels (Full HD image area) to approximately 3.5-Megapixels. Using pixels effectively, wider scenes from industry leading 35mm (35mm film equiv.) (Wide) to 1,050mm (Tele) with 30x zoom can be enjoyed.
* By widening the wide-angle side and achieving higher magnification telephoto ability, it is possible to capture wide range of objects from close to far.
2. Industry’s smallest, lightest, and thinnest class body*1 expands imaging opportunities
* Product development for the Xacti series has been carried out with an emphasis on a compact design that can be taken anywhere and anytime by using the concept of a handy device for recording the moments of daily life.
* The VPC-SH1 is a top rated small-class Full HD dual camera approximately 190cc in volume, 7.2 oz in weight, and 1.69” in thickness. Its excellent portability dramatically expands the situations in which a video camera can be used.
* To take usability a step further, the VPC-SH1 is equipped with SANYO’s original “Double Sub REC Button.” In addition to the ordinary recording buttons, a recording button for both photo and video are separately provided on the upper front part of the body to easily capture low-angle images in a comfortable posture. Being able to easily shoot a camera from a child’s or pet’s eye level makes it possible to capture the world from a different point of view.
3. Easily captures beautiful Full HD videos
* Not only it features a compact body, but also the VPC-SH1 can capture Full HD videos with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
* The video format used for this model is "MPEG-4 AVC / H.264," which is easy to use on PC and Internet environments, as it is a single file format, similar to the one used for still photos. "MPEG-4 AVC / H.264" is fully supported by the latest Windows® OS, "Windows 7"*4, which was launched last year.
* Consequently, video files are displayed in the same thumbnail format as still picture files, and they can also be played back directly with Windows Media Player, and editable with Windows Live Movie Maker*5, and are Device Stage compatible. This makes the files even more convenient for use on computers.
To enhance its versatility, the VPC-SH1 is undergoing official certification to support iFrame*6, a next generation video format that has been designed to allow users to easily import, edit and share high quality video. This format enables the camcorder function to record in the same format used for editing on a computer, dramatically speeding up the processes of importing, editing and sharing movies across multiple platforms and devices.
iFrame is a computer-friendly format, and can be used with both Mac and PC compatible applications due to the use of standards-based technologies such as H.264, AAC, and MP4.
When combined with iMovie*6 in this capture mode, it is possible to realize even greater convenience in the procedure of capturing, uploading to a computer, editing, and sharing.
*4 Windows is a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
The official name of Windows is the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
*5 Downloadable from the Microsoft Corporation website
*6 iMovie is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. The iFrame logo and the iFrame symbol are trademarks of Apple Inc. Compatibility is pending official certification.
4. Other Features
* "Sound Zoom" function enables clear sound recordings according to the scene
The VPC-SH1 has three microphone modes for recording clear sounds according to the scenes and purposes.
(1) Wide Mode: Stereo recording with high channel separation
(2) Gun Microphone Mode: Recording that focuses on sound emanating from the direction that the camera is pointing, while reducing sounds from other directions
(3) Zoom Combination Mode: Automatically changes the directivity and sound gathering format according to the image zoom conditions
* “Digital Image Stabilizer”*7 and “Face Chaser Function”*8 for videos.
* “The new Digital Image Stabilizer,”*7 “Face Chaser Function”*8 and “Target a Color Function”*8*9 for photos.
* Real Time Interpolation: Produces high-resolution 10-megapixel*10 images.
* “Sequential Shot” ensures capturing the perfect images.
* “Eye-Fi card compatibility”*11 enables automatic uploading of images to a computer.
* “Mini HDMI terminal”*12 for viewing high quality and clear images on TVs.
* Compatible with large capacity recording media, SDXC memory card.
*7 For instances where there is intense shaking or when the shutter is slow, motion correction function may not be able to correct the image.
*8 Depending on the photographic subject and shooting conditions, there are instances where the face detection function may not work as expected.
*9 Depending on the photographic subject and shooting conditions, there are instances where the object detection function may not work as expected. Developed by SANYO, with referring to the K-Means tracker technology of Wakayama University, Japan.
*10 Approximately 4-megapixel images received from the image sensor are enhanced and recorded as 10-megapixel-level images
*11 The Eye-Fi Share card and Eye-Fi Share Video card are sold separately
The maximum file size that can be uploaded from the Eye-Fi Share Video card is 2GB.
The Eye-Fi Uploading Function may not operate in the future due to change in card specifications
*12 Cable sold separately
The above is an unedited press release provided by Sanyo.