Two new Steadycams, the Tango and Zephyr, were announced by Tiffen this week and feature innovative new features
The lightweight Steadicam® TANGO™ provides long-sought floor-to-ceiling boom range with lateral reach, full stability, intuitive control and simple, economical construction. TANGO™ is a game-changing Steadicam accessory for use with today’s miniature HD cameras according to Steve Tiffen, President and CEO of The Tiffen Company. “TANGO™ is designed to be a straightforward, bolt-on addition for future Tango-compatible Steadicam models.”
The Steadicam TANGO™ balances and feels like a single sled carrying all components. It provides a comfortable, centered operating position, even at full up/down boom. It incorporates rugged, all-mechanical construction and uses a conventional Steadicam sled plus the six pound Tiffen Tango extension. “There are no electronics, gyros, wiring, connectors or power-hungry components,” said Garrett Brown, inventor of the Steadicam. “It also has a large-aperture, interior cable-path for camera/CCU interconnection. With your eyes closed, it feels like a normal Steadicam,” continued Brown.
Availability and pricing of the Steadicam TANGO™ are not finalized and will be announced later this year.
STEADICAM® TANGO features:
* Nine-foot continuous elevation and traverse with back-pan and back-tilt
* 360 degree pan, ±90 , ±90 degree tilt available throughout boom range
* Optimum pan/tilt inertia at all times
* Camera fits into small openings with full angular control
* 6 lb. camera payload @ 3:1 extension equals 29 lb. total
* Rapid conversion from “Tango” mode to conventional Steadicam
* Stable – when walking, running, climbing stairs
* Silent – no servo motor noise
* Fast – ultra-rapid traverse, elevation, pan/tilt
The Steadicam Zephyr incorporates the same revolutionary features that previously won the coveted DV Professional Association’s “Best of Show” at NAB for Steadicam.
“Style, functionality, flexibility and affordability all wrapped within the new Steadicam Zephyr. A combination of innovative features derived from our popular PILOT, FLYER, and Archer 2 Steadicam systems now allows an excel in the range of operating possibilities,” said Frank Rush, Steadicam VP and General Manager, at The Tiffen Company.
A new innovative approach to camera stabilizer design, the Steadicam Zephyr has a host of “future proof” features that allow it to be a versatile and an ever-evolving essential tool for camera stabilization needs.
* 30lb (13.6kg) lift capacity no-tools (20lb (9kg) payload capacity)
* Adjustable Iso-Elastic Arm™
* Telescopic carbon fiber post
* Connector rich base and stage
* Dual axis vernier adjustable stage
* Unparalleled Inertial control and dynamically adjustable base
The Zephyr vest assembly is an updated continuation of the comfortable Flyer vest. The ergonomic fit of the breastplate combined with the new solid metal shoulder fasteners, assure a new comfort level for extended use. New vest and pad covers are easily removed for cleaning or replacement offering extended durability.
The new tools-free patented Iso-Elastic™ stabilizer Zephyr Arm has been upgraded from the Steadicam FLYER and supports 20lbs (9kg) of payload weight. The no-tools Arm /Vest interface allows for quick customization to the individual operator. “On the fly” weight adjustment frees the operator from dismounting the system to make changes. The open design of the arm has freedom of movement unknown in this weight class. The Zephyr adjustable and interchangeable arm post assembly is a feature usually found on more expensive systems. The 2-section arm can be separated for compact storage and transport.
The new Steadicam Zephyr comes standard with a 7”, 16:9/4:3 composite NTSC/PAL LCD monitor , or optional 7” 16:9/4:3 HD/composite LCD monitor that features enhanced image quality and a wide viewing angle, even under bright sunlight making it ideal for field production use. Input configurations include: Analog NTSC/PAL Composite/S-Video/Component/RGB and HD/SDSDI (SMPTE-274M, 296M, 260M, 125M) with active loop through.
The Zephyr camera mounting stage was designed for enhanced mounting stability with standard HD and composite BNC video connectors, 2 x standard 3-pin LEMO power connectors and expandability ports for future accessories. The stage comes complete with a dual axis vernier adjustable mounting platform and extended camera mounting dovetail plate.
The Zephyr Sled Base features extendable rigid aluminum monitor and battery mounting rods, easily removable for compact storage or transport. A single mounting rod release allows for quick set-ups and ease of dynamic and inertial adjustments.
Other features include:
* Tilting and rotationally indexed monitor mount
* Inertial control and adjustability via standard Steadicam Merlin type balance weights
* Balance control via standard ¼-20 mounting hole at the base of the sled and additional balance weights
* Standard dovetail base for mounting of future options or accessories
* Standard HD BNC video connectors
* Standard 3-pin LEMO power connectors for additional power output or input via optional 2nd battery mount
* Optional 2nd battery mount for parallel 12V capability or 24V capability
* Anton Bauer or V-lock battery compatible
* Telescopic, indexed carbon fiber main post with internal safety line.
* No tools post clamp
* Standard 7” composite LCD or optional 7” HD/Composite LCD available
* No tools adjustable knurled gimbal handle with ergonomic handle.
* Standard Steadicam TANGO compatibility.
The above is an unedited press release provided by Tiffen.