Digital Photography 1 on 1
Adorama TV presents: An introduction to the 50mm lens, and why it's so popular.
Many of the photographers Mark Wallace has interviewed in our "How'd They Do That?" series use the 50mm lens to get a certain kind of look. This look has a shallow depth of field and is typically overexposed to really blow out the detail in the background. Why is this focal length so popular among professional photographers? Let's find out as Mark uses the lens to photograph a model, on both full frame and cropped sensor cameras. To see Mark's results with each of the different cameras, visit the AdoramaTV flickr page.
- Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
- Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens
- Nikon 50mm f/1.4D lens
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens
- Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 lens
- Olympus 50mm f/2 E-ED Macro
- Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 lens
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM lens
Learn More at the Adorama Learning Center
- Rediscovering my 50mm Lens
- 50mm Lens Shoot-Out: f/1.8 or f/1.4?
- Shooting in Manual Mode—AdoramaTV
- Depth of Field - AdoramaTV
- Wedding, Lifestyle and Portrait Photographer, Diana Elizabeth
- Commercial Lifestyle Photographer, Matthew Dutile—AdoramaTV
- Family Portrait Photographer, Megan Klug—AdoramaTV
- Lifestyle Photographer, Kara Layne—AdoramaTV
- Fashion, Portrait, and Fine Art Photographer, Tamar Levine