Sigma today announced that its new flagship DSLR, the SD1, will ship in early June.
Boasting a new 46-megapixel sensor APX X3-sized Foveon sensor, the Sigma SD1 is being positioned as a high-end pro camera and an alternative to medium format and digital backs. The sensor uses three silicon-embedded layers of photo detectors that are approximately 15.3MP each. This unique design is said to produce film-like color depth and sharper resolution. ISO range will be 100-6400. The camera body is sealed against rain and snow.
Other key features include
- 3-inch, 460k resolution monitor
- Magnesium body
- Intuitive user interface
- Larger sensor (23.5x15.7mm)
- Dual True II image processing engine
- Advanced buffer handles 5 fps, capture up to 7 RAW images per sequence
- 77-segment Evaluative metering
- 11-point twin cross AF sensor
- Dust protection
- Built-in flash with 17mm angle of coverage
- 2-motor system (motor drive, shutter charge)
- Focal Plane Shutter