Tamron today announced a new, smaller 70-200mm lens with a continuous f/2.8 maximum aperture, and a reworking of their classic 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
The new Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC USD telephoto zoom lens, which was introduced today, is said to be the smallest and lightest lens in its class, while the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD has been updated with new state-of-the-art optics. Let's take an Adorama News Desk exclusive look at both of these new lenses.
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC USD
The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI VC USD, which is expected to ship by the end of the year and will be available at Adorama for Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts, is a full-frame zoom equipped with VC (Vibration Compensaton), USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive; changes in its optical engineering have made it what Tamron says is the most compact lens in its class. It has a special XLD (extra low dispersion) glass plus 4 low-dispersion elements to minimize chromatic aberrations and deliver high contrast and resolution. Multi-layer technology is said to reduce flare and ghosting.
Other features include:
- Rounded diaphragm with 9 blades for smoother Bokeh
- Moisture resistant construction
- 77mm filter size
- Minimum focus distance 51.2 inches
- Aperture range f/2.8-32
- Measurements: 7.4x7.7 inches
- Weight: 51.9 oz including tripod mount
Pricing to be announced.
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD
The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD lens is an update of the highly-regarded Tamron 90 macro, featuring a new state-of-the-art optical design that includes two new features: Vibration Compensation, and Ultrasonic Silent Drive. The lens aperture blades are rounded for more pleasing Bokeh.
Other features include:
- 2 XLD Extra-Low Dispersion glass elements and 1 Low Dispersion element to reduce chromatic aberrations.
- New eBand (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) coating is said to deliver improved antireflection, and reduce flare and ghosting.
- Internal focusing; the lens does not change in length while focusing.
- Moisture-resistant construction
- Minimum working distance: 11.8 inches
- 14 elements in 11 groups
- Magnification ratio: 1:1
- Filter size: 58mm
- Length: 4.8 inches
- Weight: 19.4 pounds
- Aperture range: f/2.8-32
The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD is expected to be available from Adorama in Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts by the end of the year.