- Product Reviews
- Gear Guides
- Tip and Tutorials
- Adorama TV
Visit Adorama this Sunday, July 14th, 11am-3pm. Try out the new Sony DSC-RX1R and DSC-RX100M2 before you pre Order!) A knowledgeable Sony representative will be on hand to answer all your questions.
The Sony DSC-RX1R is a special edition version of the Sony DSC-RX1, but without the optical low-pass filter. Following a growing trend for pro-level cameras with high-resolution sensors, Sony has removed the Low-Pass filter, claiming the 35mm full-frame 24.3MP sensor will now be able to capture better image quality.
Designed for professional photographers and high-end photo enthusiasts as a compact secondary body for assignments that require traveling light, the DSC-RX1R has a 35mm f/2 Carl Zeiss lens and, according to Sony, will produce "clean high ISO 25,600", an astounding claim. Other features are expected to be the same as the RX1. Get details about the Sony DSC-RX1 here.
With an Adorama price of $748, the Sony DSC-RX100M2 is a bargain compared with its full-frame flagship sibling, the DSC-RX1R. With its 1-inch sensor (a bit smaller than Micro Four Thirds), the Sony DSC-RX100M2. offers several more advanced features and claims improved image quality over the RX100, which will continue to be available. While it physically looks the same as the RX100 (which will continue to be available), the Sony DSC-RX100M2 adds Wi-Fi sharing, an expandable shoe system (which the RX100 lacks), and a new imaging sensor that Sony says will deliver better image quality and less noise in low light. The DSC-RX100M2 also addresses one of the major knocks against the original Sony DSC-RX100, which was a lack of a hot shoe/data port to accomodate an electronic viewfinder and/or flash.
Sony DSC-RX100M2 Key features:
- New 1” 20.2 MP Exmor R® sensor
- Bright F1.8 Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi® or NFC
- ISO range 160-12800, advanced noise reduction
- Up to 0.13 seconds with high speed AF
- P/A/S/M operating modes via control ring
- JPEG and RAW
- Multi-interface Smart Accessory Shoe
- Full HD movies at 60p/24p with full exposure control
- Tiltable, 1,229k dot, 3-inch LCD
In addition to Wi-Fi support for connecting to smartphones, the DSC-RX100M2 also supports NFC (near field communication) - a first for Sony digital cameras - providing “touch connection” operation when transferring images to Android™ smartphones and tablets. Users touch devices to connect; no complex set-up is required. When using Smart Remote Control — a feature that allows shutter release to be controlled by a smartphone — the connection between the DSC-RX100MR and the smartphone can be established by touching devices.
Zippy AF claimed
To improve focusing speed and sensitivity, Sony says the Exmor R® CMOS sensor uses its rapid throughput to deliver high-quality image signals to the camera’s BIONZ® processor, which provides intelligent response data to a new high speed actuator motor in the lens. Sony claims fast, DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low light.
A Multi Interface Shoe (Sony's proprietary version of a hot shoe) will accommodate an external flash, stereo microphone, or electronic viewfinder. This is an important addition; rather than forcing you to rely exclusively on the LCD monitor (which may be difficult in bright sunlight and other shooting situations) you will be able to use an EVF to frame images by holding the camera up to your eye, which is a more comfortable way of shooting for many photographer.
The control ring around the lens can be assigned to adjust various features (at various values), from basics like zooming and aperture to creative functions like Picture Effect.
A few more cool features:
- A customizable function button can be assigned one of seven different functions.
- Optical Steady Shot uses 3-way digital image stabilization to avoid rolling, clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation, a useful thing for video.
- HDR up to 6 stops is available and can be captured in a split second, although a tripod is recommended.
- Auto Object Framing zooms in on a person in a horizontal photo and crops to a vertical, recognizing the face in the scene.
- 15 Picture Effect Modes, 6 creative styles.
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100M2 can be pre-ordered now from Adorama for $748.