||Digital, single-lens reflex, AF/AE camera
||CF Card Type I and II, SD/SDHC Memory Card (1 slot each), UDMA Mode 6 CF cards and/or External media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2/E2A or Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2 IIA)
|Image Sensor Size
||1.098 x 0.73 in./ 27.9 x 18.6 mm (APS-H size sensor)
||Canon EF lenses
||Canon EF mount
|Image Sensor Type
||High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
||Effective pixels: Approx. 16.1 megapixels
||Total pixels: Approx. 17.0 megapixels
||3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
|Color Filter System
||RGB primary color filters
||Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
|Dust Deletion feature
||(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Helps remove dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- Automatic cleaning when power on and off, and manual cleaning.
- Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images
- The appended data is used by the provided software to automatically minimize dust spots
(3) Manual cleaning
||DCF 2.0 (Exif 2.21): JPEG, RAW and RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording possible. Multiple options for recording images on two memory cards, and onto compatible external USB hard drives (via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2/2A, E2 IIA)
||JPEG, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW (Canon .CR2) MOV
1) Large: Approx. 16.00 megapixels (4896 x 3264)
2) Medium 1: Approx. 12.40 megapixels (4320 x 2880)
3) Medium 2: Approx. 8.40 megapixels (3552 x 2368)
4) Small: Approx. 4.00 megapixels (2448 x 1632)
1) RAW: Approx. 16.00 megapixels (4896 x 3264)
2) M-RAW: Approx. 9.00 megapixels (3672 x 2448)
3) S-RAW: Approx. 4.00 megapixels (2448 x 1632)
(2) Automatic switching of recording media
- When the current recording media becomes full, it switches to another recording media automatically and continues recording
(3) Separate recording
- Set the desired image size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW) for each recording media before shooting
- The image size set for one captured image will be applied to all the recording media
(4) Recording of identical images
- The same image is recorded to all media
- With external recording media connected via WFT-E2 IIA* and WFT-E2/E2A (Firmware Ver. 2.0.0 or higher).
- Two options: 1. Quick backup (Backup folder created automatically and folder name set automatically.), 2. Backup (Backup folder created manually and folder name can be entered manually.)
- Images in the card are backed up in the external recording media's root directory based on the card's DCIM folder structure.
||(1) Continuous numbering (2) Auto reset (3) Manual reset (the image numbering isreset to 0001, a new folder is created automatically)
||sRGB, Adobe RGB
||Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Def. 1-3
|Auto White Balance
||Auto white balance with the image sensor
|Color Temperature Compensation
||White balance bracketing: Three consecutive images, Up to +/- 3 levels in 1-stopincrements White balance correction: blue/amber bias and/or magenta/green bias (Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.) +/- 9 levels; manually set by user.
When blue/amber bias and magenta/green bias set with White balance correction, white balance bracketing cannot be set together during white balance correction
|Color Temperature Info Transmission
||Eye-level SLR with fixed pentaprism
||Approx. 100% horizontally and vertically
||Approx. 0.76x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1) Angle of view: Approx. 28.3°
||20mm (at -1m-1, from eyepiece lens center)
|Built-in Dioptric Adjustment
||-3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (diopter)
||Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflection ratio of 37:63)
||Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
||TTL-AREA-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
||Area AF with 45 AF points
- 8 mm (H) x 15 mm (W)
All 45 AF points are horizontal-line sensitive at f/5.6 (vertical). Thirty-nine of the 45 AF points are vertical-line sensitive at f/2.8 for cross-type focusing. For automatic AF point selection, cross-type focusing with 19 AF points is used. (The 39 cross-type AF points are used only during manual AF point selection.)
- When using some f/4 lenses (also when using f/2.8 lens + 1.4x), cross-type focusing with 39 AF point is possible
||EV -1-18 (at 23°C/73°F with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
||1) One-Shot AF
2) Predictive AI Servo AF
- The following can be set: C.Fn III -2: Focus-tracking sensitivity, C.Fn III -3: Servo operation method and shutter-release timing, C.Fn III -4: Servo operation method in case a closer object enters the focus center during subject-tracking.
(2) Manual focus
|AF Point Selection
||(1) The 45 AF points can be selected automatically or any one of them can be selected manually.
2) During manual AF point selection, the six AF points (or 26 AF points during automatic AF point selection) other than the 39 cross-type AF points will work as horizontal line-sensitive sensors at f/5.6.
|Selected AF Point Display
||Superimposed in viewfinder and on LCD panel
When an external EOS-dedicated Speedlite is attached to the camera, the AF-assist beam from the Speedlite will be emitted when necessary
- Compatible with the 270EX's AF-assist beam (a series of small flashes)
||63-zone SPC TTL metering with selectable modes
(1) Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 13.5% of viewfinder at center)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 3.8% of viewfinder at center)
@@ Center spot metering
@@AF point-linked spot metering
@@ Multi-spot metering (max. 8 spot metering entries)
(4) Center-Weighted average metering
||EV 0-20 (at 23°C/73°F with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
||Program AE (shiftable), Shutter speed-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, E-TTL II program AE (Evaluative flash metering, Averaged flash metering), Manual
|ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index)
||Auto, ISO 100-12800 (1/3-stop or 1-stop increments: Expandable to 25600
||Exposure Compensation (user-set): +/-3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
Auto Bracketing (AEB): 3 shots, up to +/- 3 stops, in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments, in all exposure modes. Can be changed via C.Fn I-6 to 2, 5, or 7 shots. Bracketing order can be changed via C.Fn I-5.
*Except during movie Manual exposure.
||Auto: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with Evaluative metering when focus is achievedual: By AE lock button
Manual (user-set): By AE lock button in all metering modes
||Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically controlled
||/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3-, 1/2-, or 1-stop increments: C.Fn I -1), X-sync at 1/300 sec.
||Soft-touch electromagnetic release
||10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
||Canon N3-type terminal
||Compatible with all EX-series Speedlites. Compatible with the AF-assist flashes fired by Speedlite 270EX
|Zooming to Match Focal Length
||E-TTL II autoflash
|Flash Exposure Compensation
||±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
|External Flash Settings
||Flash function settings, Flash C.Fn settings / Clear all Speedlite
||Single, silent, high-speed continuous (approx. 10 fps), low-speed continuous (approx. 3 fps), 10- or 2-sec. self-timer
|Continuous Shooting Speed
||Approx. 10 fps (at a shutter speed of 1/500 sec. or faster in all recording modes); fastest speed can be lowered if desired via Custom Function III-16
||The maximum burst during continuous shooting is as follows:
JPEG Large (Compression rate 8): Approx. 85 shots, RAW: Approx. 26 shots,
RAW+JPEG Large (Compression rate 8): Approx. 20 shots
Although the file size is larger than the EOS-1D Mark III due to the increase inpixels, the improved internal processing enables stress-free continuous shooting.
||1) Manual focus
2) Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
- AF enabled by pressing the shutter button halfway or pressing the AF-ON button.
1. Live mode: - One point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
2. (Face detection) Live mode: - Face detection, Contrast AF. When multiple faces are detected, face selection is possible with the multi-controller.
- Magnified view not possible.
3. Quick mode
45-point, phase-difference AF, One-shot AF, Manual AF Point selection
||Evaluative metering with the image sensor
||EV 0-20 (at 23°C/73°F with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)
|LCD Monitor Type
||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
||Approx. 920,000 (VGA)
||Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
|Image Playback Display Format
||Single image, 4-image index, 9-image index, Jump, Magnified zoom (approx. 1.5x to 10x), Histogram, Auto rotate, Rotate
Live view: view image before shooting on LCD monitor; live histogram and live simulation of exposure level possible with C.Fn IV-16-1
||Single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the memory card can be protected or cancel the image protection
||Single image, all images in a folder, all images in the memory card or check-marked images can be erased or unprotected
||RAW/M-RAW/S-RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
||Version 1.1 compatible
||A total of 62 Custom Functions from C.Fn I to IV can be set with the camera
|My Menu Registration
||For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
|Video Out Terminal
||One Battery Pack LP-E6
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4, AC power is possible.
||Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned ON Displayed in one of six levels
* Displayed on LCD panel, in the viewfinder, and battery information screen.
||Provided. Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 min.
||One CR2025 lithium battery
||Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
* Approx. 0.2 sec. based on previous specification standard.
|Working Temperature Range
|Working Humidity Range
||85% or less
||6.1 x 6.2 x 3.1 in./156 x 156.6 x 79.9mm73.5mm
||Approx. 1180 g / 41.6 oz.