Light rays which are reflected by any surface become polarised and polarising filters are used to select which light rays enter your camara lens.
• They allow you to remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water, glass etc.
• They also saturate colors and increase contrast.
• Polarizers come in two variations but have the same effect. Linear polarizers work with older camera meters; Circurlar polarizers are designed for today's newer split-beam metering systems used in auto focus cameras. Check your camera's manual.
• Hardened Glass: Hardened optical glass that has 4 times the breaking strength in ANSI standardized testing (ANSI Z80.3 : 2001) where a steel balls of varying size and weight were dropped from a height of 50 inches onto the glass.
• High Transparency Polarizing Film; The polarizing film is the same as that used in the latest high definition LCD TV screens. It has 25% higher light transmission than standard polarizing film used in current photographic filters.
•Hardened 8 Layer Waterproof Multi-Coating That is Scratch & Stain Resistant: Newly developed industry leading 8-layer multi-coating yields an average light transmission rate of 99.35% between 400 and 700nm (visible spectrum). These coatings greatly reduce reflections off the surface of the glass allowing you tocapture more light in your photos.
• As with all HOYA multi-coatings,HD HMC is applied in a furnace at high heat, bonding the coating to the surface of the glass. This process is called "hard coating" and it is far more durable than other coating techniques. The chemistryof the top layer is formulated not just to be more durable but to be resistant to oil stains. This means that finger prints and other oils are much easier to remove.
Reviewed by 3 customers
I'm both a beginner and an enthusiast. This product was fantastic, until it needed to be cleaned. I'm also uber-careful. I followed all the suggestions I could find about how to carefully clean the surface without damaging the coatings. This is a very difficult filter to clean and keep clean.
Compared it with my friends $80 special on my camera and lens, trypod mounted and using a target. Found that I gained 1.5 stops.
This top-of-the-line filter separated into three pieces upon removal from the lens. It is a fine piece of glass but extremely fragile. I use my equipment very carefully and take excellent care of everything. It is so thin that there is really not enough surface area between the two halves and the gasket for a strong bond. If you purchase it you will have to be extremely careful. I was lucky in that it separated at home. I'd been out on the coast photographing over rocks all day. Had it separated at that point it would have broken against the rocks and been unsalvagable. As is, it is off to Hoya for repair or replacement.