Ilford Harman Selenium Toner, 1 Liter
• HARMAN SELENIUM TONER is a liquid concentrate toner, designed for the dish & tray toning of all black and white photographic papers both resin coated (RC) and traditional fibre based (FB). This toner provides a simple and effective approach for the user wishing to produce Selenium toned prints. It should be used at ambient room temperatures, nominally 20°C/68°F. HARMAN SELENIUM TONER delivers an archival, visibly warmer print to the user, with the additional benefit of a toner that is convenient, versatile and with a long working dish life.
Selenium Toning Tips
• Put the prints to be toned in a plain water holding bath at 4 degrees centigrade higher than the Selenium working solution to prevent the toner from cooling when the print is being toned.
• When first using Selenium toner have an identical print as a reference in the holding tray of plain water.
• Do not continually look at the print in the Selenium as it is being toned as you may not identify changes in either colour or contrast. Make regular comparisons with the identical print as described above.
• Because lower values increase in density when Selenium toned remember to allow for this when you make the print.
• Prints made and dried can be toned at a later date. Before toning place them in a holding bath of plain water for 10 minutes.
• When prints have been ?overtoned? and the colour is unsatisfactory, for example ?too purple? toning the print in gold toner will cool the print and remove the unpleasant purple color.
• Prints can be toned selectively by applying Selenium toner using cotton wool soaked in diluted toner. Be sure to wear protective rubber gloves when doing this.
• Remember that different papers will produce a variety of different results and you need to experiment to find what best suits your taste. Be sure to keep careful notes when carrying out the experiments.