- Product Reviews
- Gear Guides
- Tip and Tutorials
- Adorama TV
How to diffuse away harsh sunlight
A lot of times you find yourself in the situation where you need to shoot a portrait outside, and it turns out that time is--yikes--noon!
Midday sunlight light is known to be the worst time to shoot portrait photography, but there is one simple and very affordable tool available at Adorama that will allow you to shoot in midday light and still capture pleasing portraits in nice soft light. And that's a diffuser.
How did I get from the harsh direct-sunlight shot at left to the more pleasing lighting on the right? Watch this video and learn:
Set up to shoot available light with your telephoto zoom to isolate your subject and then pull out your flashpoint 5 in one reflector. When you remove the gold/silver layer, you will find inside a translucent diffuser that will cut that harsh sunlight and become a nice pleasing soft light. Here are 2 shots of the same model, the one on the left is in direct sunlight and the one on the right is with a diffuser between my subject and the sun. The difference is striking! Check out the video below where you can see me walk you through this step by step and no worries if you don't have an assistant to hold the diffuser. You can get a lightweight stand that will hold the diffuser in place for you.
Related Products at Adorama
- Flashpoint 22" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver & Soft Gold
- Flashpoint 32" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver & Soft Gold
- Flashpoint 42" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, Translucent, White, Black, Silver & Soft Gold
- Flashpoint 42" 5-in-1 Collapsible Disc Reflector, - Bundle - with Flashpoint 7.2' Air Cushioned Black 3-Section Lightstand, Flashpoint Portable Reflector Bracket
Learn More at the Adorama Learning Center
- Using a Reflector for Portraits—Adorama TV
- Multifaceted Reflectors Have Many Uses
- Flashpoint 42" 5-in-1 Disc Reflector & Reflector Bracket